The mission of The Art Center of Waco is to promote the arts in Central Texas, through educational programs, exhibitions and collections.
The Art Center Waco was established in the early 1970s in downtown Waco, and moved to the current location on the MCC Campus in the early 1980s. Renovating the Cameron Family summer house established the art center in a location that is suitable for not only art exhibitons and progams, but for use by the community as a center for meetings, weddings, parties and other special events. The house is owned by McLennan Community College and was built as a wedding present for Mr. Cameron’s bride in 1924. (The Camreon Family figures prominently in Waco history; Waco’s Cameron Park, which is larger than Central Park in New York,is named in honor of the family who deeded the land to the city.)The Mediterannean-style villa houses exhibition galleries, studio classrooms, a clay studio, gift shop and offices for professional staff. A large courtyard, which was once the site of a swimming pool, is available for rentals.